CHANS Lab Mission and Research Overview:Our mission is to conduct cutting-edge analysis and modelling of social-ecological systems, for both fundamental insight and application to real-world practice and transformation--to enable the just treatment of current and future people and the natural world.
Our work in the natural sciences focuses on including humans and evolution in ecological research, including modeling and diverse empirical analysis.
Our work in the social sciences explores the just treatment of current and future generations, developing novel approaches to management and governance, and informing the relevance of our natural science work.
Our lab is addressing the above mission through a diverse set of integrative and overlapping research foci:
- Ecosystem Services (mechanistic analysis, mapping and socio-cultural value elicitation)
- Cumulative Effects (risk assessment, policy, modeling)
- Social-Ecological Systems (characterization and modeling of dynamics, vulnerability and adaptive capacity)
- Science Engagement (motivations, barriers, measurement)
- Integrative Sustainability (impact mitigation, from ecosystems to producers and consumers)